Titan Shield

San Marino Splits Last 4 Games

The San Marino High School Titans boys’ varsity basketball team completed a season sweep of the Monrovia Wildcats by winning 68-54 at home, on February 2.

The Titans lead 21-12 at the end of the first quarter by making layups, having solid rebounding and creating turnovers after miscommunication by the Wildcats. There was a decline in the second frame as the teams combined to shoot 11 for 39. San Marino lead 39-28 at halftime.

Monrovia cut the Titans lead by 5 points at the end of the third quarter by getting turnovers on intercepted passes and scoring 8 points on free throws. San Marino was able to win 68-54 after having better shooting and rebounding, forcing turnovers and making free throws in the fourth quarter. Some of these key contributions came from Chuma Azinge and Michael Shahan.

In their previous game, San Marino lost to the South Pasadena Tigers 76-69, on the road in a rivalry game on January 31.

South Pasadena had a 29-15 lead at the end of the first quarter after making layups and having 5 three-pointers in that period.

Head coach Mihail Papadopulos stated, “We studied and prepared for what we were going to see and to their credit, they took advantage of our defensive mistakes. We just weren’t locked in early in early in the game and it hurt us.”

In the second quarter, both squads (especially the Titans) drew blocking fouls by driving down to the key and shooting near the basket. That resulted in San Marino scoring 11 points on free throws in that frame which made the score 40-46 in favor of the Tigers at halftime.

The Titans had a similar strategy in the second half  by getting lots of their points on layups and free throws. That allowed them to come within one point of South Pasadena multiple times down the stretch. Some of that came from Azinge and Shahan who had a combined 20 points in the second half. Although, South Pasadena held on and won 76-69 by making key shots late, having turnovers and sinking free throws.

Prior to that, San Marino defeated the Temple City Rams for the second time this season 60-47 on the road, on January 26. It was the first game where Michael Baldocchi played after missing the last four games due to injury.

Temple City lead 18-10 at the end of the first stanza by making shots and having successful defensive presses. The Titans came back and had a 27-26 advantage at halftime by having a good defense and making shots.

Shahan said, “Our confidence level is what kept us on track and we used that to gain a lead and then work off of that.”

The Titans went on to win 60-47, with Temple City missing shots and the Titans continuing to make baskets.

Andrew Quach totaled a career-high 36 points and had 7 rebounds with an assist. Shahan netted 10 points and Azinge had a mark of 7.

Two days earlier, San Marino lost to the La Canada Spartans 64-54 at home. The Titans have now lost 12 of their last 13 meetings to the Spartans.

La Canada won by making three pointers, getting rebounds and forcing the Titans to have turnovers, offensive fouls and poor shooting.

The next game for San Marino is tomorrow, when the Titans host the Blair Vikings at 7:00 PM. Afterwards, they play Thursday night at La Canada, which will mark the final game of the regular season.