Titan Shield

Musical Delivers Compelling Take on Classic

Ariana+Prapas+and+Sofia+Miera+sing+a+duet+together+during+Fiddler+on+the+Roof.+
Ariana Prapas and Sofia Miera sing a duet together during Fiddler on the Roof.

Blake Pak

Blake Pak

Shinji Lin

Tradition!  San Marino High School Performing Arts delivered its annual all-school musical production, Fiddler on the Roof, in the Neher Auditorium, which began its run Friday, January 26.

The show continued with performances on Saturday, January 27, a Sunday matinee at 2:00 P.M. on January 28, Thursday, February 1, Friday, February 2, and Saturday, February 3.

The SMHS production of Fiddler on the Roof is based on the original 1964 play, music by Jerry Bock, book by Joseph Stein, and lyrics by Sheldon Harnick.  This is, in turn, based on stories by Sholem Aleichem, with special permission from Arnold Perl.  Drama teacher Blake Williams was the director and technical director, Timari Thorstenson was the vocal director, and Ava Hargett was the choreographer.

The musical is about a Jewish family in 1905 Russia before the Communist Revolution.  Tevye, played by Erik Olson, married to Golde, Nicole Doerges, is the father of five daughters.  The play follows the story of how Tevye’s three oldest daughters marry and how he must cope with them breaking tradition in their Jewish community. Meanwhile, the family faces persecution from the oppressive Czar and outsiders.

Their three eldest daughters are Tzeitel (senior Sofia Miera), Hodel (senior Ariana Prappas), and Chava (junior Allison Ye).  These daughters are married to Motel the tailor (senior Keenan Taw), Perchik (Michael DuMont), and Fyedka (sophomore Leighton McBryde), respectively.  The two youngest daughters are Shprintze (sophomore Madison Grier) and Bielke (sophomore Talia Green).  The eponymous Fiddler is played by freshman Isaac Roberts.

While previous school musicals were more modern, Fiddler is a more classic production from 1960s Broadway.

“It definitely talks about acceptance, about people who are different from you and it kind of touches on racism,” musical lead senior Olson, said. “It really talks about breaking the past traditions of prejudice and racism and bias towards other people and focusing on accepting everyone as equals.”

Fiddler is the last musical for four-year musical senior cast members Olson, Taw, Miera, Saerlaith Dunn, and Prappas.

“It was a lot of hard work because we were all really dedicated to the show and we all wanted to be good, so we put in extra time and extra effort, so that was awesome to see,” Olson said. “Yeah, I had a great time.  I loved working with everyone and working with the choreographer, the vocal instructor with Blake.”

The musical received positive reception from student audience members.  Junior Trenton Gin went to see the play twice to support his friends.

“I really enjoyed it because I felt it was definitely longer than the other plays at our school because the story itself was longer.  I kind of enjoyed that,” Gin, said.  “It got me thinking.  It’s true, we do have traditions her in San Marino, certain traditions that we follow almost even blindly and you see it a lot in the world too.”

“It was a very good play and it was really interesting and well thought-out,” junior Michael K. Yu said.