Titan Shield

Boys JV Netters Kick Off Season

Kurtis Tsai

The San Marino junior varsity basketball team started off its 2017-18 basketball season with a tournament at La Cañada High School, where they finished 1-3.

The junior varsity boys team opened with a 65-33 loss to Calabasas High School last Wednesday.

The Titans started off their 1st half of the season with only 14 points on the board.

“The first half was contested, we were going back and forth,” said sophomore Kourush Hassibi.

The Titans picked up their offensive pace in the second half, scoring 19 points. However, the Titans were not able to match the 2nd half offensive productivity of the Coyotes.

“The offense started slow in the 2nd half. We weren’t making shots and we gave up easy layups on defense,” said Kourush.

Offensive stars in the game against Calabasas include freshman Ethan Mo, who scored 15 points and junior Chris Wicke, who scored six points, and sophomore Ethan Deng, who scored five points.

The jayvees continued the 4-day tournament with a win over rival La Cañada, winning, 58-31. The Titan offense started off strong, with 22 points scored in the first half. San Marino  continued its offensive productivity in the second half with 36 points. Strong offensive performances include an 18-point game from Mo and seven points by sophomore Ethan Deng.

The Titans slipped to a 1-2 after they lost to Hart High School, 79-57. San Marino scored 25 points in the 1st half. Ten of those points came from Mo. The Titans went on to score 32 points in the 2nd half. Top performers in this game against the Indians include Mo with 17 points, Hassibi who had nine points, Deng, who scored eight points, and junior Kade Wentz, who scored seven points.

The Titans played their final game of the tournament against La Salle High School and lost by a final score of 72-66. The Titans had another strong offensive performance in the 1st half, putting up 33 points – their best 1st half performance in the tournament. San Marino scored an additional 33 points in the 2nd half for a total of 66 points, a tournament high. However, the Titans had 13 turnovers in the game. Mo and Deng both had amazing games. Mo scored 28 points, while Deng added 22 for the Titans.

Mo, the center, had the best offensive performance of the tournament, scoring a combined 78 points over the 4-day event.

“Our offense was lacking at times and we struggled heavily on defense,” said Mo. “We also had good runs and shot well from the free throw line.”

“Our defense was kinda shaky but our offense was pretty good,” added sophomore, Yohannes Zerihun. “We were very outsized compared to the other teams so we didn’t get many rebounds. The positives were that we were able to play tough teams and we were able to compete.”

“The JV team has improved greatly since the summer tournaments to this past La Cañada tournament,” said Brendan Fagerberg, a sophomore. “When we were on offense, our goal was to slow down and play our game. In doing so, we were able to get easy baskets and open shots. On defense we got in the face of our opponents to make them create mistakes and turn over the ball. A huge challenge was overcoming their size. We were definitely the smallest team of the tournament. Even though we were small we hustled harder than any other team. After every game of the tournament we learned something new. We went in ready and came out understanding more about the game.”

“The team has been good. Very raw as these were our first competitive games in a while. We held our own against some big schools and learned a lot in the process. Our offense was good at times, moving the ball and not standing around. At other times the ball and the players got stagnant, which does not translate to easy baskets. I thought we played a bit fast on offense and got careless with the ball. Defensively we again had some solid moments, but overall we were lazy, in my opinion,” said Coach Campagna, the JV Basketball Coach

“We were not scrappy and therefore gave up more points than I would have liked, in this tournament. And lastly, playing very good teams, which in turn will allow us to learn. I thought Ethan Mo, center, was a big part of our offense. Ethan Deng has some bright moments as did Brendan Fagerberg. Other players contributed and improved which is all I can ask for,” said Coach Campagna.

The jayvees finished the tournament, 1-3, with their only win coming from a satisfying victory over their rival, La Cañada.