Titan Shield

Students Selected for Regional Honors Choir

The fourteen Titans honored signals the largest group from any school in Southern California.

Rebekah Cohen, Editor-in-Chief

Signaling an auspicious year for the school’s choir programs, fourteen Titans have been selected to participate in the 2017 Southern California Vocal Association Honors Choir. No other school in Southern California had as many students selected.

The choristers will be belting out the tunes in groups Men’s, Women’s, and Mixed choirs.

Freshmen Justin Chen, Holden Kenney, and Emily Lee were chosen for the group.  Sophomores Joe Hindle, Jennifer Zhang, and Michelle Zhang also received notice. The Juniors selected were Mansi Gokani, Aidan Johnson, and Allison Ye. Rounding out the group were seniors Michael DuMont, Jaren Huang, Max Kolevski, Alice Li, and Charmaine Qiu.

During tryouts on September 23, students did a live, individual audition in front of a panel of three judges.

“The process was nerve racking, but I felt well prepared for it thanks to my conductor,” said Hindle. “I felt the process went well and it was beneficial for me.”

The auditioners were told the results a week later.

“I am so proud of the SMHS Choir students,” said San Marino High School Choir Director, Ms. Alderman. “It takes a great deal of work and practice for students to be selected to the SCVA Honor Choirs, and it is exciting to have so many accepted.  We had a large number of students audition and they were very supportive of helping each other through the process.”

To get ready for their first performance, students from all over Southern California who were selected for the choirs met in Fullerton for one rehearsal before their performance at the Riverside City College on November 18.

Along with performing the pieces “Bacia Per Haver Vita,” “Missa in tempore belli,” “When Thunder Comes,” “Even When He Is Silent,” “The Roof,” and “Freedom Train” with conductor Joshua Palkki, the students will also get to meet composers afterwards for tips and critiques for the students to bring to upcoming performances.

“I’m so grateful to be part of this choir,” said senior Michael DuMont. “I was also selected for the program my sophomore year, and I had an amazing time. It was wonderful to meet other students all across Southern California who all have the same interest as me in making music.”