Titan Shield

Titan Voices: Do You Agree That it’s Ok to Kneel During the National Anthem?

Titan Shield staffers asked students to weigh in on the flag controversy:

Do you agree or disagree that kneeling or sitting during the national anthem is an appropriate form of protest?

“Kneeling is an appropriate form of protesting. When [Colin Kaepernick] kneeled, it wasn’t against the flag, it wasn’t against what America stood for, it was against the broken system that is being used to curtail the black youth and community  …  it was for what America could be, for more progress, for more innovation, for more people to come together and realize it is an issue. In fact, by kneeling, he was respecting the flag because he was making sure its purpose was fully served.”

Wania Ahmad, senior 

“I maintain a neutral stance on the NFL players kneeling, but I do respect these professional athletes for standing up in what they believe in. In the case of the NFL players, I see it as them using their platform and stage to speak up against racial discrimination.”

Erina Widjaja, junior

“I understand that the NFL players’ intentions are to only exercise their rights to freedom of speech in regards to these protesting peacefully, without any violence. To a certain extent, I support their cause, but I hope that their silent protest does not result in American citizens forgetting the blood, sweat, and tears of the soldiers who have fought for our freedom in the first place.

Vanessa Wu, sophomore

“No, it is not appropriate. I understand what the protest is but kneeling is not correct. It is disrespecting the men and women that died fighting for their freedom to play the game of football. They deserve the respect that they have earned. And the players have no right to kneel because they think they are so important and they are not. The first thing they are is Americans and they need to respect this country, our military, and the flag.”

Blake Cabot, senior

“I think so because it’s them respecting and using their First Amendment Right of Speech.  They’re not protesting against the flag or the country.  They’re protesting police brutality and what they’re doing is that they’re kneeling for all the people who were lost.  Obviously, it’s not a way that’s going to ‘cure’ police brutality, but it’s a way of getting people’s attention. I think that it’s a great way to get people’s attention because professional athletes are somebody that everybody watches and everybody knows who they are.”

Katherine Marston, junior

“I feel it is disrespectful to those who fought. They are trying to be heroes, but in reality I don’t think they are helping.”

Valentin Arambula, Frosh Football Player