The student news site of San Marino High School

Titan Shield

Stars in the Making

Two Titans transform their time into hit YouTube channels.

Carolyn+Holt+films+a+fall+tag+for+her+youtube+channel+on+Saturday%2C+September+30.+
Carolyn Holt films a fall tag for her youtube channel on Saturday, September 30.

Rakel Ang

Rakel Ang

Hannah Charity and Skyer Pak

Press play on Titan junior Portia Porsche’s latest video. Click subscribe on sophomore Carolyn’s creative channel. Have you wondered what goes on behind the scenes of online video creation? Step into the worlds of a two hopeful YouTube stars where camera settings, lighting, and scripts are essentials for eye-catching content.

Sophomore Carolyn Holt and junior Portia Osuch have created their own YouTube channels where they post videos ranging from beauty tips, to fashion, to comedy.

Osuch started posting content on her YouTube channel Portia Porsche because she wanted a platform where she can genuinely be herself. “I started my channel because I used to be so stressed out about my grades, but then YouTube gave me the opportunity to be creative and go outside of the box,” Osuch shared. “My channel is about my personality.”

Her channel is a hit, gaining over 1500 subscribers in under a year, beginning in March 2017. She has posted 28 videos and has even received business opportunity offers, where she gets paid to talk to an audience. More importantly, her motivation behind posting her videos has transformed from entertaining herself to entertaining others.

“The engagement is the best part,” Osuch said. She strives to listen to her audience and being able to make an impact on her viewers has made YouTube really special for her. She has “fallen in love with film” and posting content.

Osuch taught herself how to use and setup all the camera equipment to film.  

“I have to make the setting look super nice through the lens because it’s how people see and perceive you.”

After filming, editing is another large factor that goes into one video, and Osuch has learned through experience.  

“I learned it all by myself and I watched videos, but most of the time I edit by myself because it’s easier that way. I’ve always had a thing for editing,” Osuch said.

Hannah Charity
Portia Osuch smiles for the camera as she films an episode for her YouTube channel, Portia Porsche.

Although the time and dedication that goes on behind the scenes and in front of the camera lens might not be commonly known, it is evident from the quality with every video that Osuch posts.

Producing one video takes over 8 hours, from brainstorming the idea to actually posting the video. “It’s so much work,” she said.  “First, I have to write down the script and that takes an hour or two because you have to be creative, and I also have to record the video which takes an hour or two hours, and editing the video takes three to four hours. It’s a lot.”

Another YouTube channel by an SMHS student is from Carolyn Holt, who started her YouTube channel Carolyn Grace Marie in July 2016, where she posts content on beauty, fashion, and lifestyle. She started her channel because the idea of having a subscriber base was exciting to her.  

“To have people watching and enjoying videos that you pour your heart into is satisfying and keeps me going,” Holt shared.

Holt took a class the summer before her freshman year on photography.

“The course allowed me to become more comfortable with using a camera,” she said.  “As for editing, I am self taught when it comes to utilizing iMovie, the platform I use for editing my videos. I have played around with the program quite a bit so I am pretty comfortable with it now.’

The effort Holt puts into each video is evident by observing the end product of her videos. She starts by planning, and those ideas stem from the current season, trending content from similar YouTubers, and any other ideas that pop into her head. She then films with her Nikon camera and tripod, which can take anywhere from 10-45 minutes, depending on the content.

The next step is uploading the footage onto her laptop to edit. “My favorite part of the video creation process would be the editing. Being able to add the effects, voiceovers, and music to your video really pulls the project together and I love seeing the final product,” Holt said. Editing takes around 45 minutes for sit down videos, and up to two hours for the outfit lookbook ones. Before posting the video, the second to last step is creating a thumbnail, the image that viewers see before they click on a video.

Her channel has been a growing family. Currently, she has 180 subscribers and has posted 33 videos. Recently, she reached her long time goal of 10,000 total channel views.

“I really honestly love that and it’s the best thing in the world even when a thirteen year old is commenting you’re the best person in the world,” Osuch said.  “Recognizing how hard I work, it means the most to me.” Her goal for the future is to gather up to 1 million subscribers and continue to pursue YouTube as a hobby. She posts videos weekly every Thursday at 5:30 P.M. P.T. on her channel. For Holt, the big goal she’s focusing on is getting to 1,000 subscribers. “Trying to devote a little more time to filming and editing every week is something I am working on,” Holt said.

This is only the beginning for Portia and Carolyn. Explore their YouTube channels for entertaining content.  

The links to these two students’ YouTube channels are below.

PortiaPorchse: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_flotXiFB6hgpGxvkxuGCw

Carolyn Grace Marie: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8bO0bG3TT6nSgJbkVHjUzw