The student news site of San Marino High School

Titan Shield

Freshmen Smash Bell Gardens

Titans extend win streak to three by shutting out Lancers.

Matthew+Karapetyan+running+through+the+grasp+of+a+would-be+Bell+Gardens+tackler.++
Matthew Karapetyan running through the grasp of a would-be Bell Gardens tackler.

Omar Elhawary

Omar Elhawary

Will Slocum, Reporter

The San Marino High School freshmen football team stayed boiling, as they beat the Bell Garden Lancers 49-0 for their third consecutive win.

On offense, San Marino had mostly runs, with some long passes mixed in. Most of the running plays were to running back Matthew Karapetyan, which included runs that got the Titans into the end zone.

San Marino also had a productive air attack by quarterback Andy Sutherland.

The Titans defense had a strong defensive performance, by having multiple turnovers and stopping runs near the line of scrimmage. The defense also made two red zone stands at the end of each half, to keep Bell Gardens off the board both times.

San Marino freshmen football coach Matt Wilson, was happy about how his team applied what they worked on in practice to the game.

“I love that we had a gameplan,” Wilson said. “We had a pretty good idea of what they were going to do offensively and defensively, from playing them last year. Our scheme was executed, our guys did what they were supposed to do.

“They didn’t play hero ball, and went and did their thing. They followed their assignments, and made plays. So, it was a great win.”

San Marino’s offense opened strong with Matthew Karyapetyn busting a 62-yard touchdown run for the game’s first score.

Throughout the remainder of the game, Karapetyan had two additional touchdowns, which included a 51-yard punt return.

Wide receiver Harrison Wendling, also had a 13-yard touchdown run.

In the air, Andrew Sutherland had another dominant performance with three touchdown passes. Wide receiver Trond Grizzle had a touchdown catch, and receiver Jeffrey Conzonire had two.

The defense caused four turnovers, including two fumbles, which were both recovered by Karapetyan, who also plays defensive back.

Conzonire also had a notable defensive play when he tackled the Lancers punter at their own 20 after a bad snap.

Linebacker Marcus Buenabenta had an interception.

All of those turnovers, gave San Marino good field position on offense, which resulted in touchdowns on all of the following drives.

After a bye this week, the team will return to the field on October 5th, when they will host La Canada High School in their conference opener.

“The league games are definitely the ones you want to win,” Wilson said. “Those are the ones down the road in varsity that determine if you’re going to go to the playoffs.”