The student news site of San Marino High School

Titan Shield

JV Football Loses to St. Bonaventure

Loss comes one week after win against El Monte.

Kurtis Tsai, Reporter

The JV Football team dropped to 1 – 3 after losing to St. Bonaventure on Thursday, 47 – 27. More details about the game were unavailable at press time.

One week earlier, the team won their first game of the season by blanking the El Monte Lions, 26-0. The varsity and freshman football team also were victorious, completing a sweep of the El Monte football program.

The defense improved greatly against El Monte, compared to the past two games in which they allowed a combined 75 points.

The defense also forced two fumbles. Linebacker Seth Matsumoto was able to recover one of the fumbles.

Our defense did great, we shut them out with a great team effort,” Linebacker Yohannes Zerihun said. “However, our defense was too eager to tackle, allowing several wide receivers to get wide open.”

The Lions might have had a hand in their own demise.

“El Monte rarely punted the ball and constantly went for a fourth-down conversion, which helped our offense gain good field position,” offensive linemen Tyler Chow said.

In a strong offensive performance, the Titans did not give up any turnovers. The Previous week, versus the Spartans of Schurr High School, the offense turned the ball over three times, and lost 13 – 6  

Against the lions, quarterback Connor Short threw three touchdowns. Wide receiver, Noah Herrera caught two touchdown passes. Wide receiver, Sean Han also caught a touchdown pass. Running back, Steven Barraza, scored on a 70-yard run.