The student news site of San Marino High School

Titan Shield

Busy Band Mates Brave Their Best for 2017-2018

Marching band, drumline and colorguard put in long hours to provide moral support for Titans

Senior%2C+Bethany+Cheng%2C+plays+during+the+halftime+show+at+the+football+game%2C+September+15.+
Senior, Bethany Cheng, plays during the halftime show at the football game, September 15.

Rakel Ang

Rakel Ang

Shinji Lin, Copy Editor

Led by new music director Denny Bui, the marching band, drumline, and colorguard are making progress in preparation for their competitions in October and November.

This year, the theme of their show is titled “Coexist.”  The first movement of the show consists of flowery lines with theme of earth, while the second movement represents the Industrial Revolution and showcases metallic sounds.  Both themes join together in the third movement, where nature and industry meet.

“That’s the theme of our show this year, ‘Coexist.’  Presenting two elements and mashing those two elements in the last movement,” Bui, said.

Besides performing at pep assemblies and in the halftime shows of varsity football games, the three branches of the music program meet and rehearse on Thursday nights, from 6 to 9 P.M.  The drumline has additional practice on Monday nights, and the color guard, on Tuesday nights.

On Thursday nights, it is SMHS tradition for each section to dress up in a certain theme to get them excited for rehearsal.  For example, the trumpet section wore letter balloons on the back of their heads and turned around in a line to spell out the word “TRUMPETS.”  Other themes are “College Prep” or “Dress Like a Person,” imitating the style of other band members, including drum major Mark Wong, senior.

Bui believes the marching band’s progress is good and will continue to improve the whole season.  “They’ve gone a long way since summer practices and band camp.  They’ve been working so hard to refine what they’ve been doing and what the staff and I are asking them to do.  They want to be competitive so we’re trying to bring them to the next level and they’re very capable of doing these things,” Bui, said.

“At this point in the season, we’re at our best musically, given the time rehearsing, compared to previous years,” Wong, said.

The marching band start Saturday competitions in the SCSBOA circuit on October 14 at Rowland High School, followed by October 21 at West Ranch High School, October 26 at Colony High School, November 4 at Los Altos High School, November 11 at Savanna High School, and championships on November 18 at Warren High School.