The student news site of San Marino High School

Titan Shield

Filed under Showcase

New Principal to Bolster Feel of Titan Community

Connectedness and relationship-building major goals of Gates' first year

Dr. Gates, the neighborhood friendly Titan principal, gets ready to start the 2017-2018 year off.

Blake Pak

Blake Pak

San Marino High School acquired their own personal Energizer Bunny in a pink Link Crew shirt this August as Dr. Issaic Gates stepped onto the campus for the first time as principal. Gates, however, is no stranger to the job of principal having served as assistant principal at Los Alamitos High School before coming to San Marino.

Chemistry teacher Mrs. Chubbuck, who nick-named him “Energizer Bunny,” was impressed with the passion and enthusiasm with which Gates approaches his job.

Mr. Gayl, world history and government teacher, agreed. As the new principal introduced himself to the staff at their first development day of the year, Gates told the teachers that he loved them. “This demonstrated to me that he is a genuine person who cares about the people around him,” he said.

Being a caring, relationship-oriented person is in Gates’ blood. Born on an Air Force base in Illinois, he was the middle child of five. Growing up, he felt extremely connected to his school and community.

“Even though I have moved four or five times because of my parents’ job in the military, I have always loved the idea of community. Growing up in Panama City, Florida, was similar to San Marino in the way that you knew people and they knew you. Everyone went to elementary and middle school together; it was just a very friendly, connected atmosphere,” Gates recalled.

The consistency of schools and teachers during his early childhood allowed Gates to connect with his peers. Gates attended Mosley High School in 1999 where he was involved in track, football, and basketball. His football career continued at the University of Central Florida where Gates played secondary back.  There, he earned a master’s degree in education.

As a child, Gates wanted to be a judge in order to pursue his passion of justice, fairness, and equal opportunities. “I am excited to be principal because even though I never saw myself in this position, I can find a way of incorporating those same ideas into my job as principal,” he said.

Anticipating what is to come, Gates expects that learning and getting acquainted with the culture of San Marino will be the hardest part of his job.

What will be the easiest part of his job? “Relationships,” Gates said with a smile. “I’m grateful for the adults in my life that took an interest in me and invested in my life beyond academics while I was in high school, and I hope to create the same environment for students at San Marino.”

Gates believes he is qualified to serve as principal of the school ranked number one in the state for California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress.  Gates acknowledged that San Marino had been number one before he arrived as principal and would most likely have upheld that ranking had he not been principal. “That’s not what it’s about though. I’m qualified because I am a learner. I’m working to understand the science of learning and how the brain works because that is a passion of mine. I have reflected enough to use those principles of learning for myself so that I can continue the success of this amazing school,” he said.

Gates is thankful for the extremely supportive community, school board, superintendent and district office, PTSA group, faculty, student body, and family that he can rely on throughout his first year as principal of San Marino High School.

Gates has two main goals: “The first is to build relationships with students, teachers, and administration. I want the school to find support systems in each other and focus on the idea of community. Second, I want to listen and learn. Listen to find out as much as I can about how this school works and what has made it successful and then learn about how to continue to do that.

“After listening and learning comes leading which is where I step in as principal.”