The student news site of San Marino High School

Titan Shield

Two Teachers in Taiwan

Hannah Charity, Features Editor

During the summer, two seniors Audrey Huang and Jane Hung travelled fourteen hours to Taiwan where they taught children English. They spent four weeks, from June 25th to July 21st, teaching students and exploring the culture difference.

“It was really fun,” Huang said. They spent their summer educating and making a difference in many children’s lives.”

“For the first week we were trained on how to teach the kids and planned our curriculum,” Huang said. “I taught kids aged 9-12 basic English.” Huang and Hung received the privilege of experiencing first hand teaching students and taking on the responsibility of leading the class.

“I underestimated the difficulty and requirements to successfully teach a second language,” Hung stated. “I discovered that the job requires more patience, optimism, and endurance than I imagined.” Teaching proves to be more than simply following a lesson plan, which Huang and Hung experienced with each child.

“It was challenging at times because some of the students had difficulty understanding or learning English,” Huang admitted.

While teaching in Taiwan, Huang and Hung noticed the prevalent cultural differences and created memorable memories with their students.

“These kids weren’t different in elementary school.  However, the culture shocked me,” Hung said. “The kids had to clean their own schools with brooms.” Huang recalled a memorable student who immediately “pushed in all the chairs and straightened the desks after class without me or Hung telling him to do anything.”

Their summer trip left a lasting impression on them and provided them with the opportunity to work with their own students.

“It was a rewarding experience as I learned how to educate children and run a classroom,” Huang said.  They gained insight into putting their leadership efforts to the test when they ran the classroom in Taiwan. Both girls ensured that the classroom was running smoothly and all the students were learning. As the teaching program concluded, they returned to California with a greater sense of working with children and were able to hone in on their leadership skills. “After two weeks of being a real teacher with Audrey, it allowed me to experience the life of having a job in the real world,” Hung shared.